Wednesday, June 8, 2011

ST. JOSEPH'S RESTORATION 2004 - THE SIDE ALTARS

Here are some pics of the side altars. This was, what I thought to be, the last part of the job. All the scaffolding with the exception of the scaffolding in the pic was removed. I was actually bummed to see the scaffolding go...should I say this...well I really loved climbing the stuff. Of course, the climbing only happened when something needed to be gilded or faux finished.





The two pics, the one above and the one below are 'in progress' of both the left and
right side altar respectively. The above pic, shows how I, with the help of my partner,
used a computer to design the shape and a projector, with the help of the other artists,
to trace the shape onto the wall. If you look closely on the red wall you will notice two
chalk lines that mimic the shape seen on the computer screen. It was necessary f
or us
to do this since the altar space had two arched openings and one arched window that
were all different in height and width, thus making the wall space asymmetr
ical.






Here Dave S and I are gilding small squares on the wall behind the Virgin Mary Altar.
If you look closely
you might notice how the color gradually changes as it gets closer to
the marble altar
. We did a ragging technique using three different glazes over the original
color. I also gilded star shapes onto the ceiling.
















The above pics show the side altars finished. I unfortunately wasn't around to see the
side altars fully completed since I had to go to Colorado for a memorial.
The figures
were painted by the sister of the liturgical designer. (I completely forgot her name - ugh.)
I did help her sketch some of the figures onto canvas and I even modeled for one of the
angels. Of course, it looks nothing like me. She just needed to get the gesture and pose right.


I also helped Dudley - this awesome and hilarious foreman - hang the painted angels.
We used wall paper glue to adhere them to the wall.

No comments: