Wednesday, June 15, 2011

COX CAPITOL THEATRE - 2006

The last thing I did on this project was the banister of the balcony, which I started and completed in the first couple of months in 2006. The face of the banister was decorated on a three sides with 40 frames containing a decorative element. Every other frame alternated with a knight's armour with a crest, two lions holding a crest, or a crest by itself. Each of the three varied slightly by color or by a symbolic imagery, but overall the alternating images were consistent.





Here is an example of one of the crest. I took a photograph of each decorative element
in each of the 40 frames, which I then brought home to digitally recreate in Photoshop.




















The three images above are examples of what the digital version looks like.









I had all the 40 images professionally printed on canvas using archival inks. I then
adhere them to the interior space of the frame using wallpaper glue. Finally, I aged
them a bit using a ragging technique.










Here are two sides of the banister.













The middle section of the banister contains only the knights and lion images.
The sides of the balcony only contain the crest.










No comments: