Thursday, June 9, 2011

GRAND OPERA HOUSE 2005

In August of 2005, I was asked to help restore Macon's Grand Opera House. (Click here for more information about the Grand Opera House.) They had started the job earlier in the summer, but I was out-of-town for a memorial and could only make it for the last month of the restoration. My main focus on this job was faux finishing and painting flowers on the box seat ceilings.





Above I am in the process of painting one of the box seat ceilings.





Here is a flower finished. I love how the light looks like the stamen of an
actual flower. The entire ceiling ragged with a lighter blue.







By this point, I am almost finished with the ceiling minus one.







I also faux finished the columns and two statues located on both sides of the proscenium.







Here is a detail of one of the statues. She and her identical sister are the first
statues I would paint/ restore, but thankfully not the last.

No comments: