Tuesday, June 14, 2011

COX CAPITOL THEATRE - 2005

The people behind restoring the Capitol Theatre decided to have a full functioning restaurant and bar. Inside the kitchen they placed a wood fire pizza oven. The oven can be seen by the public through the front window and the side ordering counter. There wasn't enough space in the kitchen to create a substantial base that would be bigger than the top part or to tile around the entire oven. I was asked to design and install a mosaic on just two sides of the oven.






Picture of me working on the mosaic. I created a design that would reflect the
Moorish style and color theme seen through out the theatre. I used stained-
glass for the center part that I am working on in this picture. I appreciate a very
tight mosaic with very thin grout lines, so this entire project was very tedious and
needed the help of my partner, Craig C, and long days to complete the project
within ten days.






Here is the project completed. Most of the materials were recycled
(from other projects) or were bought at extreme discount.







I used rounded glass as a decorative accent. I really love how it looks in between
the moulding on both the top and base of the mosaic.
This was one of my favorite
projects. I am very proud of the way it looks, but sadly, because of its location, it is
the most overlooked.

No comments: